French toast is one of the breakfast classics. It’s rich, it’s indulgent, it’s sweet and utterly butterly delicious! We’re not trying to mess with the classic french toast here; we’re just dressing it up in a really fun and healthy outfit! We’re taking it from breakfast to snack time with a few twists.
As most recipes will tell you, brioche bread is a favourite when it comes to french toast. I don’t get brioche that easily where I live so I had to bake mine! However you can definitely use whatever bread you have on hand. Just cut nice thick slices of it so you get aesthetically pleasing cubes! The rest of the ingredients are pantry staples, making it an easy last minute snack recipe.
As far as appliances go, air fryers are game changers. The Prato Air Fryer Digital has certainly changed my life. I used to think that air fryers were unnecessary; after all you can make most air fryer recipes in the oven right? That may be true but there’s no doubt that the air fryer is simply easier and so, so much faster! The Prato air fryer comes in both a digital and non-digital version and they both have large 3.8 litre baskets. I also particularly love the tray insert. Unlike some air fryers that have a mesh basket, the Prato air fryer’s tray and basket are so easy to clean. Traditionally french toast is made with oodles of butter in the pan but these french toast bites cook with the bare minimum fat thanks to the air fryer. You can brush them with some melted butter afterwards but that’s totally optional. I like to use the Stay Fit Oil Sprayer for all my air fryer recipes!
Eat and Drink in Style!
I served these adorable bites up in the Wonderchef Teramo Stoneware set in my personal favourite colour – marble white. I absolutely love the marble white collection for its whimsical patterns – no two pieces are the same, making them feel all the more special. Photographing food is a hard job, I use so many plates and bowls and you bet all my food is always cold by the time I’m done shooting. So I’m particularly grateful that the entire stoneware range is both dishwasher and microwave safe! These fabulous Teramo Stoneware Espresso Cups were filled with some strong filter coffee to accompany the sweet french toast bites!
French Toast Bites Accompaniments
These french toast bites are not too sweet on their own. Since they’re dusted with sugar after cooking and served with maple syrup or honey, I didn’t want to overdo the sweetness! However you’re welcome to alter the ratios according to your preference. You can also serve these up with nutella, chocolate syrup, dulce de leche or even peanut butter! Sweetened whipped cream is always great with any dessert, so if you’re in the mood for something indulgent, do try that out.
Serves: 2 people
Time: 15 minutes
- 2-3 thick slices of Brioche Bread
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Milk
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup/Honey
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- Cinnamon Sugar for dusting
- Cut thick slices of your bread. Depending on the size, you may need 2-3. Cut each slice twice vertically and twice horizontally to form 9 equal pieces.
- Crack the eggs into a deep bowl and add the milk, cinnamon, vanilla and salt to it. Beat well with a whisk.
- Grab the tray of the air fryer and spray or brush it with some oil or butter.
- Dip each bread cube one at a time into the egg-milk mixture and place into the air fryer tray. I wouldn’t recommend adding multiple pieces into the egg mix at once since some of them will over soak and become mushy.
- Spray or brush the tops with some oil or butter.
- Turn the air fryer on and set the temperature to 180c.
- Allow the bites to cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once they’re done, take them out of the fryer and place into a bowl.
- Dust with sugar and serve with maple syrup, honey, nutella or your choice of condiment!
Author: Sneha Sundar is the creator of You Dim Sum, You Lose Some; a philosophy she adopts both in and out of the kitchen.