If you think salad is boring and only for those, who diet, then you are wrong. Salads are filling and nutritious. You can add toppings and dressings according to your taste to make it delicious. The best part of salads is that you can customise them as per your liking, and with so many variations, you cannot get bored with them.
Recipe For Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Have you ever been so hungry for a healthy meal that you’re willing to try anything? Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is one of those recipes that has it all. It’s hearty, healthy, and downright heavenly! This classic Mediterranean salad is packed full of flavour and nutrients. It’s easy to make, vegan-friendly and perfect for meal prepping. Plus, with the addition of feta cheese and crunchy chickpeas, it can be enjoyed as a main dish or side dish. Read on to discover how to make this delicious dish right in your own kitchen!
Although salads don’t need to be cooked, we’re using dried chickpeas rather than tinned ones. I hardly ever purchase tinned chickpeas because they are so readily accessible and inexpensive in India. However, you must prepare in advance if you choose to use the dry variety. A good pressure cooker is something else you must need; fortunately for me, I have the Wonderchef Easy Lock Pressure Cooker. The Easy-Lock comes in two variants – 3 litres and 5 litres to suit both large and smaller families.
Chopping vegetables is the only significant labour-intensive step in making salads. That is a thousand times easier with the The Wonderchef Turbo Chopper! Simply add your vegetables and start blending! For presenting my salad, I use the Teramo Stoneware Soup Bowls. The soup bowls are the ideal size for me to eat a small bowl of salad before every meal.
Time: 15 minutes + 10 hours soaking time
- 1/2 Cup Dry Chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cucumber
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Crumbled Feta
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Black Olives
- 1/4 Cup Parsley
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Lemon Juice to taste
- Begin by washing the dried chickpeas thoroughly. Soak them for 10 hours or overnight.
- Once soaked, cook them in a pressure cooker with some water, salt and baking soda. Wait for the pressure to build up till 1 whistle, then turn the heat down to low and let it cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Chop the cucumber into small cubes and halve the cherry tomatoes. Finely chop the parsley and set aside.
- Add the cucumber, tomatoes, black olives, feta and chickpeas to a bowl.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until it comes together. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Add your preferred amount of dressing to the salad along with the parsley and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately!
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is a dish that everyone can enjoy. It’s packed with protein and plenty of flavours to satisfy your taste buds. Whether you’re looking for a quick, healthy lunch option or something delicious to bring along to the next potluck, this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad will not disappoint! This hearty and heavenly salad is sure to please even the pickiest eaters in your family. So give it a try today and enjoy all the amazing benefits it has to offer!
Author: Sneha Sundar is the creator of You Dim Sum, You Lose Some; a philosophy she adopts both in and out of the kitchen.