Think all vegetarian salads are boring and too light? Well think again because you’re going to be stuffed after a big bowl of this salad! This chickpea salad is always a winner at dinner parties and works particularly well with the Indian palette. It’s tangy, filling, tasty and so easy to make that you’ll be stocking up on chickpeas to make this salad every week!
ANATOMY OF A SALAD
Making a salad is so easy. First, you need some protein – which in this case is chickpeas. Then some veggies – we’re going to opt for cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. Next, something fun – which for me was some feta and olives. Lastly, we want to add something green and for this particular salad we’re going to go with parsley. Mix and match the ingredients based on your own preference and what’s in your fridge at the moment. You could also do red onions, roasted red peppers, raw bell peppers, arugula or lettuce. The choice is yours!
Salads don’t require any cooking but we’re using dry chickpeas instead of the tinned kind. Dry chickpeas are so easily available and cheap in India that I almost never get the tinned kind. However, if you’re going to use the dry variety, you have to plan ahead. You also most certainly need a good pressure cooker and lucky for me, I’ve got the Wonderchef Easy Lock Pressure Cooker. The Easy-Lock comes in two variants – 3 litre and 5 litre to suit both large and smaller families. As the name suggests, this particular model differs from the ones out there because of its easy lock feature. I remember when I first started cooking, closing a pressure cooker was so difficult! With the Easy-Lock, you don’t need to worry about how to place the lid because no matter how you do, you can just turn the knob and the lid will lock in place!
The only real work in preparing salads is chopping the vegetables. The Wonderchef Turbo Chopper makes that a hundred times easier! Just add your veggies and blitz away! I also love the Teramo Stoneware Soup Bowls for serving my salad. I like to have a small bowl of salad before every meal and the soup bowls are perfectly sized for that!
I like to keep my salad dressing simple in order to let ingredients shine. The feta, olives and tomatoes have some strong flavour so a quick vinaigrette works perfectly. You could also just squeeze some lime and add salt to the salad before serving if you don’t have time to make a dressing. Either way you’ll definitely love this salad!
Time: 15 minutes + 10 hours soaking time
- 1/2 Cup Dry Chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cucumber
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Crumbled Feta
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Black Olives
- 1/4 Cup Parsley
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Lemon Juice to taste
- Begin by washing the dried chickpeas thoroughly. Soak them for 10 hours or overnight.
- Once soaked, cook them in a pressure cooker with some water, salt and baking soda. Wait for the pressure to build up till 1 whistle then turn the heat down to low and let it cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Chop the cucumber into small cubes and halve the cherry tomatoes. Finely chop the parsley and set aside.
- Add the cucumber, tomatoes, black olives, feta and chickpeas to a bowl.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until it comes together. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Add your preferred amount of dressing to the salad along with the parsley and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately!
Author: Sneha Sundar is the creator of You Dim Sum, You Lose Some; a philosophy she adopts both in and out of the kitchen.