Here’s a combination you don’t come across often!
Most people don’t recognize how nutrient-rich side dishes can be. The right type of side dish of course; I don’t think that huge side of cheesy mashed potato is all that great for you! A little salad with your sandwich instead of fries or a side of fruit with your breakfast adds a great deal in terms of variety and nutrition. We could all probably up our vegetable intake and fun and interesting sides are a great way to do it.
This is the perfect recipe to make while getting your main dish ready. There’s very little to do once you prep your carrots. It all comes together very quickly and the end result is one that will blow your mind! You’ve never had carrots like this!
I used the Wonderchef Regalia Bean to Cup Coffee Maker With Grinder to brew a strong pot of coffee for my carrots. Freshly ground beans produce a much more flavourful cup of coffee. What I particularly love about the process though, is the aroma that fills the kitchen when I brew a cup in the Regalia machine. The grinding process releases the most intense aroma that really adds to the experience. I say ‘entire process’ but the grinding is done in under 30 seconds! It’s quick, it’s easy but it’s also precise!
Coffee needs to be ground evenly, or you’ll have little bits that are larger while others are small. Uneven grinding leads to uneven extraction which will result in coffee that doesn’t taste that good. However, you don’t have to worry about that with the Bean to Cup, since it’s remarkably precise for a machine that does it all in the blink of an eye!
However, if you’re not stocked up on beans, fret not because there’s a separate mode for using pre ground coffee as well. Setting it up was a breeze and using it was even easier. Wonderchef has an exhaustive list of FAQ’s on the product that helps with any question you might have!
On the Side of What?
You’ve made the most delicious side of carrots and now the question remains, what to serve it on the side of?! These carrots go great with sandwiches and burgers. They’re also great with casseroles or bakes. However, juicy grilled chicken, creamy mash and these delicious carrots are a match made in heaven!
Time: 20 minutes
- 4 large carrots
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup Strongly brewed coffee
- ½ tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- Begin by preparing the carrots. Wash and peel the carrots. You can cut them into any shape you like but try to cut them slightly thick. (about ½ cm) I like to do diagonal cuts to make oval slices.
- Add the carrots to a pan and cover with 1 cup of water. Cover and let it cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Once the carrots are almost cooked, drain the water and return the pan to heat.
- Add the olive oil, coffee, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper and let it cook uncovered for 5-6 minutes or until the liquid is almost completely gone.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Author: Sneha Sundar is the creator of You Dim Sum, You Lose Some; a philosophy she adopts both in and out of the kitchen.