Christmas is nearing, so picking the ideal cake with delectable seasonal flavours is important. While it is easy to get a traditional cake from any bakery, there is nothing better than making a moist cake at home for your loved ones on Christmas. You should save this recipe for Christmas if you enjoy making dessert at home. For those who constantly crave sugar, this cake will be a treat for their taste buds. Given how chilly it is outside, Christmas is the perfect time to indulge in some comfort food. And what could be more comfortable than a decadent cakes? With just a few simple ingredients, you can easily make a cake at home using this recipe. This cake recipe is a must-try for both children and adults since it will impress everyone with its flavours. To make the cake more flavorful, you can add different dried fruits, nuts, and even seeds in addition to the basic dried fruits we used in this recipe. Not only will it look stunning, but your guests will also be wowed by how delicious it is.
Black Forest Cake
This richly flavoured cake is one of the most popular cakes around the world and for good reason: layers of soft chocolate cake smothered with Kirsch liquor and layered with cherries make for a truly special cake. The added zing of alcohol gives the Black Forest a slightly bitter taste, which when paired with the sweet cherries gives your taste buds a truly special experience.
- In a stand mixer, beat 6 eggs, 1 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla together until it is soft and fluffy while alternatively adding 4 ounces of melted chocolate and 1 cup of flour into this mixture.
- Grease the cake mould and pre-heat the oven to 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Now, bake the cake.
- For the syrup, boil 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of water together and later add 2 tablespoons of Kirsch when the syrup has cooled.
- Make the buttercream filling by beating together ⅓ tablespoon of unsalted butter and 1.5 cups of sugar, until they blend well. Then, add 1 egg yolk and beat again until light and fluffy.
- Soak the cake with the syrup and add the buttercream filling topped with canned cherries
- Cover the entire cake with the topping made of 2 cups of canned sour cherries, 1 cup of heavy whipped cream, 8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate and 2 tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar.
- Add grated chocolate on top and decorate with the remaining cherries.
- Refrigerate until cooled and enjoy.
Christmas isn’t Christmas without a Plum cake. It’s a hearty cake brimming with dried fruits and is the best fruit cake that can last in the fridge for a long time – though it doesn’t last long when opened and shared with family and friends.
- Sieve together 2 cups of flour and ½ teaspoon of baking powder and keep that aside.
In another bowl, mix 1 cup of brown sugar and ½ cup butter thoroughly.
- Add 3 eggs to the mixture and beat them well. You can use an electric blender to make the process easy.
- Add the flour and baking powder mix to the mixture, spoon by spoon so that no lumps are formed. Now, add ½-to-1 cup of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder to the mixture and blend well. Leave this mixture aside for 10 minutes. Add finely chopped nuts and prunes and beat well again.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C for 15 minutes. Prep a baking tray and line it with butter paper. Add some grease and flour to the tray and pour the batter.
- Bake at 180°C degrees for 45 minutes. Keep checking if the cake is done with a skewer after 35 minutes and adjust the timing accordingly. Once done, take out the cake and let it cool.
Enjoy tea and other assorted snacks.
Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
A Gingerbread Man with his Gingerbread House is a traditional North American Christmas tradition so it is only apt for a Gingerbread Cake to grace your house this Christmas. Read on to know how to make a cake at home with gingerbread’s famous signature spicy-sweet taste and aroma.
- Firstly, whip up ½ cup of sugar and butter and later add 1 cup of molasses and 1 egg.
Take another vessel and mix 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon cloves, 1 teaspoon ginger and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Combine this with the ingredients from the other bowl, and then slowly pour 1 cup of hot water into the mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into a well-greased and floured baking pan.
Preheat the oven to 175°C for 10 minutes. Bake the cake for 30-45 minutes.
Serve the cake warm, topped with whipped cream.
Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake
This classic British dessert is a holiday favourite across the world for its delectable and moist texture. It is made of dates – an unusual but delicious ingredient that brings out the best fruit cake. For those who like sweet flavours that don’t overpower taste buds, this cake is perfect. Here is a special Christmas cake recipe just for you!
- Take 1 to 1.5 cups of dates in a bowl and pour ¾ cup of boiling water over them. Leave it for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat together ⅓ cup of butter, ¾ cup of sugar and 2 eggs. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and leave aside.
- Take another bowl, combine 1.5 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda and ½ teaspoon salt and mix well. Add this to the previous mixture. Once mixed, add the softened dates.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F for 15 minutes. Pour the batter into a cake pan and bake for 45-60 minutes. Make sure to regularly keep checking that the cake does not get too dry. Once done, leave the cake to cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium pot, combine ¾ cup of brown sugar, ⅓ cup of butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1 cup of cream and ½ teaspoon of salt. Bring this to a boil while constantly stirring until thickened.
Serve the cake with this pudding mixture poured on top.
This cake will surely change your assumptions about a vegetable being the key ingredient in a cake – not only is it unbelievably rich and tasty, but when topped with cream cheese and pecans, it becomes a fast favourite. Moreover, it is super simple to make.
- Firstly, whisk together 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of ginger, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Take another bowl. Whisk eggs, brown sugar, oil, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add 3 cups of grated carrots to this mixture and mix well once again. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F for 15 minutes and then add the batter to 2 separate cake trays.
- Leave in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
- While it is baking, make the cream cheese frosting. Pour 8 ounces of cream cheese into a large bowl and mix with an electric handheld mixer.
- Once smooth, add ½ cup of butter and mix again. Add 2-3 cups of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Once the cakes are baked, add the cream cheese frosting between the two separate cakes, and then cover the cake with the leftover frosting. Leave it to cool and set it for 30 minutes.
Serve with coffee.
It’s no doubt that cakes and celebrations go hand-in-hand. Let’s celebrate this Christmas with some interesting Christmas cake recipes. What are you waiting for? Head out to Wonderchef and get all the kitchenware and moulds required for baking your Christmas cake!